Saturday, June 9, 2012

TweenTime

This is a message for the tweens in my life. I get to share GOD's love and TRUTH at my daughter's middle school group today. My heart overflows with excitement! Please pray with me that hearts grow to seek and serve the living God! I Thess. I:9! Here is the message:

I wonder how many times you have been asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
I love that you think about this and even dream about it with us some times. It's good to have dreams and goals that will help you achieve them. But I want to ask you something different, a question that I doubt you have been asked quite as much. You ready?

What do you want to be today? Do you know what you are and can be right now?

You are God's unique design. He planned you and purposed you, and yes, that means for right now. As children sometimes I think we focus too much on what we will be when we grow up, and in doing that we miss the power God has in us - for us - right now.

Consider King Josiah. Do you know about him? He became king of  Judah at the age of 8. In the 2 Book of Chronicles, the 34th chapter, Josiah's story is told. It says, "In the eighth year of his reign, while he was still young, he began to seek the God of his father David." The chapter goes on to tell how one of the priests in the temple found the book of the Law that God had given to Moses, and read it to Josiah. "When the king (Josiah) heard the words of the Law, he tore his robes" He was so upset! Can you imagine being so upset you tear your clothing? But Josiah didn't just get mad; he put his righteous anger to good use. This young king " ... removed all the detestable idols from all the territory belonging to the Israelites, and he had all who were present in Israel serve the lord their God. As long as he lived, they did not fail to follow the Lord, the God of their ancestors."

I have so much respect for this kid! He was young! He was called! He was appointed! And God gave Him everything He needed: Power, Influence, Leadership Skills, and The Word of God -  to live for God and lead others to live for God.

My favorite thing about this kid - he had NO IDEA that God was going to bring through him the KING of all KINGS. Josiah is listed in Matthew 1 as one of the members of Jesus earthly family. Check it out for yourself. I am not kidding you. Did God reward Josiah or what? Not only is his story told for you and I to know him and respect him, but he is linked for eternity to the Son of God.

Now - what about you? I know what you're thinking. "This is a Bible story, lady, and besides that - this is about a king. We're KIDS!"

I hear you, but being a young person does not limit God in you. God uses kids. He used Josiah as a child, David as a child, Mary was just a young girl, Isaac the son of Abraham was a child - and even as a baby, Jesus commanded the presence of angels, shepherds, and kings. A young boy gave Jesus his lunch and fed thousands! YOU can be used of God at any age. Do you believe it? You need to. I'll tell you why.

Doubt is one of the enemy's greatest weapons against us. Curled up in the branch of a tree, the ancient beguiler whispered to Eve, "Did God really say?..." DOUBT! planted in her heart, and so she did.
THAT being said -

1. First of all, you need to know your created purpose is directly connected to Jesus.
John 15:5-6 "I am the vine you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do NOTHING." - emphasis added by me - of course.

The wonder and amazement of the created thing is not JUST the thing itself. The thing itself is just a shell without the LIFE within it.

Consider a cardboard box. It's so much fun to create something out of this scrap of nothing. Kids make forts, and robots, boats and planes - just out of cardboard. But without the kid in it - what fun is it. What does it do. It's just a thing - with no life to it. And think about this, too...put the wrong thing in the cardboard box creation - and it just doesn't work the same...you know - like your dog, or your next door neighbor, Mr. Huberduberdingleschnocker. (names changed to protect the innocent)

The box is shaped into the creator's purpose, just like you. The size of it, shape, color - nothing external about that box determines the value of it. The only - ONLY - ONNNNLLLLYYYY thing that will ever determine the value of what is inside - is the one who gives it LIFE - just like YOU.

God created you for a purpose - and that purpose is directly connected to the LIFE that is JESUS in you.

2. Secondly, you are equipped with everything you need to serve God.
I Peter 4:10
2 Peter1:3

God did not sell you short on materials. You have what you need now to serve God RIGHT where HE has placed you.

Think about what you are good at. The abilities and talents God has given you are for you to use and CHOOSE to serve God. But I want you to understand something else. The life inside of you - that is given to you because YOU HAVE JESUS - is a part of our God. His Spirit - what He is good at - is in you. YES! I am not joking.

The Biblical term for having a part of God in you - is your "SPIRITUAL GIFT". It's like God took a part of Himself - His ability and wrapped it up in you. Is that crazy or what? I know! You wanna know some examples of this God talent you - YES YOU - may possess right now - and be really good at - right now???

Serving. Teaching. Giving. Healing. Mercy. Leadership (Josiah!). Knowledge. Faith. Wisdom.
These are only examples. You can read about more in Romans 12 and I Corinthians 13, and even there you won't find all of the things God can make us able to do by His Spirit. The possibilities are HUGE!

Any ideas about what you are good at? What God might have given you as a part of Himself for here on earth? Ask someone what they think. Others can sometimes identify our gifts from God better than we can.

The real question is...are you using this gift? Because...we alllll need you to! Not when you grow up either. We need you now! In your home; in your school, on the ball field, at the park, hanging out wherever you are...the part of God that He placed in you - with your physical talents and abilities - in the shape and size and design of YOU...is needed NOW.

3. Which brings me to my third point. You have been chosen and appointed with purpose.
Chosen means selected specifically, and appointed - well - this just seals the deal because that means the decision was made beforehand. Careful thought was given to the choice - of - you. ILOVETHAT! How do I know that? Good question! A disciple is a follower. Jesus had 12 disciples originally, but now - he has many disciples. We are his disciples. John 15 was written to the disciples, or followers, of Jesus. He said to us, "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit - fruit that will last."

This isn't farming. This fruit is the stuff of God - the stuff that eternal life is made of. We are capable, because of Christ, of producing eternal things. YES! I know! I'm freaking out with you! Cause I thought I would only ever be good at making brownies! They're gone in minutes!

4. So what do we do with this great information? My next to last point... I know you're getting antsy, so I'll be quick. Here is point #4. Ask God to accomplish what He has given you to wish for. What do I mean by that? Well, Jesus said, you can ask for what you wish. John 15:7-8. But this doesn't mean an Ipad for you to play with or your own phone. This wish of ours - that God wants to bring about - is placed in us by God's Spirit too.NOTHING of God is for self. Everything of God is for others.

Jesus said, "If you remain in me and my words remain in you" - because remember, you always have a choice... - "...ask whatever you wish." So, God's Word in us will direct our wishing. For example: Reading about King Josiah - GIVE ME SOME OF THAT INFLUENCE! Right? King Josiah rocked for the kingdom of God. God's Word in our hearts - changes our desires. Which brings me to my very last point.

5. It's not about us. Serving others will glorify God and bring you JOY.

Our world is sooooo much about becoming and doing for self glory. Hard not to be! Stuff and popularity are powerful tools of the enemy. You, however, can overcome that lame duck power if you have God's Word in you and you want to overcome it. Remember - it's a choice.

Jesus said, "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." John 15:9-13

Your created purpose is directly connected to Jesus. What Jesus did for us - He wants you and I to do for others. He changed the WORLD! And He's still doing it - by His Spirit - and through His disciples that choose Him.

Think about it. The way God has made you - the place He has set you down on earth - your chosen and appointed life and time in 2012...What are you going to do with it?

Don't think small. Think great! God didn't say don't ask for great things. He said nothing is greater than laying your life down for your friends. Ask Him to show you how you can do this very great thing today.

We are all waiting and hoping on Christ - IN YOU.
LOVE!



No comments:

Post a Comment