Tuesday, July 24, 2012

HindSight

I wonder. If someone would have shown me this picture when I was 18, would I have lived differently?

I am teaching my children that their choices will follow them. Their choices not only affect them, but their choices will ultimately affect everyone who loves them - everyone they love. This power can bring beauty or this power can bring destruction. I know, ultimately, they will see the magnificence of God's Word in their lives. We all will. I just pray this realization will come through their obedience to His Word, and not their rejection of it.

Love protects others from sin. Now, I see that truth so clearly - even in this black and white image of my daughter in my arms - I see a thousand choices I made in my long ago yesterday that did not protect her, I see the redemption of God that secures her in spite of me, and I see the choices ahead of me tomorrow that will protect my child - and her children after her.

In a time when marriage is a joke - when people are a toss away based on a fleeting emotion such as happiness - my heart ACHES for the truth of happily ever after in our God. Oh please, oh please, with me - place your family picture before you daily. See deeply into the outlines of your faces, the scenery surrounding you - the smiles. BEYOND the image we behold is the security, the peace, THE LOVE, and the blessings of God through His Word.  He alone holds life together. He alone is our bond, and He alone teaches us what it is to love and be loved.  THIS understanding is our only hope.

With you, my friend, I choose God, and in doing so we choose AMAZING good for those in our lives that we love now - AND those we have yet to love. Can you imagine that? Is that not incredible, or what?!?!

What a gift! What a gift that God breathes insight into our limited understanding through the power of His living Word!

I read Proverbs 3 with my babes yesterday morning. I have their names written above it - and it's dated March 16th, 2009. I am not sure what was going on then, but that Proverb crossed my path and I chose to pray it and hope in it.  My son was 6 then; my daughter 8. Today - in 2012, they are well equipped with nouns and verbs and images that help them grasp on their own - to some degree - the RICH truth this Proverb holds.

For our marriages, for our children, for their children if God should be so willing to endure -
"Let love and faithfulness never leave you; Bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart, and so find favor and high esteem in the sight of God and man." Proverbs 3:3-4

What will this look like in your life today?
In my life - I will correct my children with a smile on my face and truth from God on my tongue. Even though I could look at them with dagger eyes in a second and spew words they have never heard or want to hear.
 His Word - His Way and not my impatience. FOR GOODNESS SAKE! I have kids! Ya know what I'm saying? God let me have kids! You too!! Congratulations, by the way!  Look at those babes of yours!!! They're fabulous!!!  I will not forget today - no matter how they fight, or argue with me about what I am asking them to eat - or do, OR what they ask me to do for them in the middle of what I consider important...(like right now they are in the bathtub in their swimsuits and they called me upstairs to ask for gummy vitamins. Puddle on the floor, jets blowing loudly, toys surrounding them... REALLY? YES! Really! TODAY I will not forget the image of my life beautifully, messily, crazily, miraculously intertwined in theirs! I GET TO BE A MOM to these two amazingly unique babes - whom I have dreamed of from the time I could hold a dolly and call it a name...I think I liked the name Joey and Annabelle. Hmmm. How I went to Kamryn and Kaden - I don't know. ANYWAY...

TODAY I will greet my husband with love and not exasperation. September is coming! I'm going to make it!I will listen more than I talk (adult conversation wanted!), and I will seek to serve and not be served even though I am really, really sick of cooking. Pinterest to the rescue with ideas!

I will fight for the love that is my life now. I lack no good thing, and I will stay out of books, communications (facebook,email,texting) and images that communicate otherwise. I get to be in love with Kemper Lewis today! And if I should die today I want him to say, "Laura was the love of my life!" Who wouldn't want that for their husband? WHO wouldn't want that for their own love life? We want THE LOVE OF A LIFETIME kind of love - and how is that possible without the power of a LOVING GOD? I mean seriously - a workout video and perfume only go so far - ya know what I'm sayin'? I love this man God blessed me to do life with. I never want to cause him pain. Not ever. I will bring him good all the days of his life - and so today - that will be a hug around the neck, a smile just for him, frosted brownies and tacos! And yeah - I'll work out tomorrow. Today -...didn't get that done. It's okay, though... TOMORROW!!!You're with me, right?

We are so stinkin' rich, aren't we? Indeed. Praying we don't miss it - not one. tiny. glistening. toes, and fingers, curls, and tiny teeth, strong arms and loud footsteps down the hall - not one ounce.

"Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding. For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, and her gain than fine gold." Proverbs 3:13-14

Hindsight.

And now - I'm going to clean the tub that my children so kindly have invited our dog to bathe in with them. Nice. I'll be sure to take pictures. And laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment