Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy Anniversary.

On July 7, 1962 my mom and dad were married. So today - would have been their 50th wedding anniversary. Despite the fact that a car accident interrupted his life with hers here on earth - I am still celebrating this anniversary. They never divorced, and I am certain - they never would have.

He loved her. She loved him. They committed to one another - to their marriage - no matter what.

Not so true of marriages today. Are you engaged? Are you married? Congratulations! You have a 40% chance of making it! I wouldn't even bet on those odds. Why do we give up on our commitment to love - until death  parts us?

When you look at a family that is broken...you see just that - lives shattered. What was so worth it? And what really confuses me - is that people divorce and remarry, like another life will be so much different, so much better...Really? Another marriage will defy the 40/60 odds? Because why??? Oh wait, because it isn't a human you're re-marrying??? 

Not so. Not so. People marry, divorce, remarry, divorce...and it goes on and on and sometimes still on.
I have one divorce in my past...and I am remarried, and yes my husband is human. AND I NEVER, EVER, NO. NOT. EVER. want to go through divorce - EVER - again.

Where is hope? Is there such a thing as a marriage that will last, and not even just last - but one that will thrive in love?

My hope is not in my spouse - but in Christ in my spouse. My husband fights for his relationship to our God - and he fights for his relationship with me. His love for me remains passionate - because his love for God is ferocious. He never settles for mediocrity. I am grateful, so much so - that I too, embrace this fight with him.

Happily ever after does not fall into place because you simply love one another. Happily ever after is a choice with strong intention and powerful determination - every single day, and YES that means even if you still love to kiss and hold hands. Cuz BigDaddy and I still do... ohyeahwedo!

In our marriages - (I'm rooting for you! with you!!! counting on Christ in you!!!) we will continue to fall in love when we let go of what we think that should look like, and pursue the unseen God. Loving one another is not a natural, pretty course - it's an obstacle course, a sweaty one at that! - and for as many mud pits that you and I may have to go through with our spouses - there will also be incredible pinnacles of beauty. The journey is exciting, challenging, and intense; filled with joy, laughter, tears, and sacrifice. Nothing compares to the beauty of this fight. Nothing. You know it's true! You feel it! Don't you? That is the hope of God in you!

If you are engaged, if you are married, if you are divorced and intend to be remarried...you  have been blessed to enter into a lasting covenant . Understanding this holy realm and KNOWING the God who is this bond with you - is critical to our love story. I Corinthians 13. Ephesians 5.

Wishing you every blessing in your marriage journey, and a happy anniversary - every single day.


It is a gift to be in love and to remain there.

"Truly our fellowships is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ." I John 1:3
"Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." I John 3:2
"None of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself." Romans 14:7

Still falling!

No comments:

Post a Comment