Monday, September 12, 2011

Have faith in God.

Amazing what I ask God for. The nerve of me, ya know? Amazing what I know and believe He is able to do. Amazing what I doubt, and never ask for. Amazing what I am not, and amazing what He has made me to be. For all of it - I am so dependent on Him. Like breathing. Like moving my hands across a keyboard. Like a worth while thought. He is my Creator. He is my God. He is my all. Do I really believe that?

I'm studying faith; faith that is not fully defined by Webster - because I did go there - and was left wanting;...faith that the Bible defines by those who moved in it. Distinct loyalty. Motivated by love and hope. I don't get it fully if at all. However, I am inspired as I watch it move on the pages of God's Word - literally come to life in my heart through the people He chose to demonstrate it...And sensing the fullness of it overflow from people to God's purposes - to the pages I read, and my own gift of life here and now - I do long for more of it... overflowing from person to purposes. So,I'm not sure understanding it is really the answer. However, I do know that asking for it - and receiving it - most definitely is. I have been given a gift, and with it I long to please God - by His design of it - by His design of me for it.

I read this morning in Mark 11, about how Jesus had cursed a fig tree that did not produce fruit. It did not do what it was designed to do - and it would never bear fruit again. Then Jesus arrived at the temple, and there it was being used as a market place - for the buying and selling of goods - not what it was designed to be. The temple was to be a house of prayer for the nations - and it was being used for self-profit. This resonates with me. - Believers are the temple of God...and what is our God intended purpose...("Go out and preach the gospel to all nations" - not self profit...) and how do we move in that? My heart hurts. Back to text I go. There's more to realize...Jesus was angered by the perversion of God's design. Upon leaving the city the disciples and Jesus passed by the fig tree that Jesus had cursed - and it was withered. The disciples were amazed by this display - this proof of power. Can you imagine your own reaction? You heard Jesus curse it - and then you saw it dead. I would have been flipping out. Cuz who does that?

Jesus is a wise teacher - and the path he takes with his students is laid with scaffolding of GREAT purpose.


"Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "Truly I tell you, if you say to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and do not doubt in your heart but believe that what you say will happen, it will be done for you. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive your sins."

Now here is where I pulled up a chair with the Lord and I thought almost out loud alongside of Him in my family room. "Lord - why with such a great display of power - mountain thrusting - would you add that while I pray - I take on the task of forgiving - and also ask you to forgive me?" This is almost ludicrous in my mind. I mean - if I were standing there listening to you tell me I could take a mountain and throw it into the sea - I would be getting so fired up - pumped with power that I had actually watched you display in a small way on that fig tree... -I'd be up on my tiptoes ready to run and give it a try - and then you say - "if you hold anything against anyone - forgive them, so that my Father in heaven may forgive your sins." You just leveled me.

Silence.

That was indeed the point.

Mountain thrusting - purposeless in my design. And yet - this is what fired me up. My purpose is to live in relationship to others - and to God ... in love. He has given me this power - and yet, do I assert it at all - with any kind of belief - any kind of enthusiasm.

How silent the moment must have been that followed. Nothing is written of their response, but I felt it in my own heart. Faith from person - to purpose on the pages of the living Word- to me. The heels that were raised to run to the mountains - lowered slowly in humility when they considered the true task at hand. Forgiveness to be given. Forgiveness to be received.

What a teacher. What a great teacher. Will I have faith in God enough to forgive others - and to believe that He indeed has forgiven me? Will I move in that life giving - burden releasing - power surging faith on the very tips of my toes - believing and moving in that faith with great enthusiasm and power? This is my purpose. My mountain thrusting purpose in Christ.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength....Love your neighbor as yourself....You are not far from the kingdom of God." Mark 12:30, 31, 34

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, love - but the greatest of these is love." I Cor. 13:13

"We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. We remember before our God and Father your work, produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that HE has CHOSEN you..." I Thessalonians 1:2-4

This is great faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment