Thursday, October 11, 2012

Devotions

Girl Reading
Have you had your "devotions" today? How do you like that question? It either puts a twist in your gut or it gets you all excited for a great conversation. Right?

Devotions. We, as believers define our time with God in His Word as our "Devotions". But - as you may or may not know - our religion is not the only religion honking the Devo horn. Other religions have their devotional time to align their hearts with what they believe and want to live by. Uh huh. What does that do in your gut?

What are they reading? What are they thinking? But even more than that - how is their study time affecting them, and the world around them...not just today - for every day...for eternity.

I WOULD LOVE to sit down and chat with these people about their devotions. I would. Not in a heated discussion. YUK! I hate confrontation. What I do love is to hear someone's heart. What makes you tick? What makes you ok in the midst of heartache, in the midst of uncertainty? What gives you joy?

Here's the thing though...devotionally - you ready for this? Devotionally - regardless of what they are reading - they are being inspired, re-wired, and charged for the day. Sure they are! These people are not being left without a surge of "feel good" from their devotions. They read and study and focus on something that will empower them. We can ALL find a source of "feel good" when we want it, right? I see these religious power statements on facebook often. Don't you? We may even quote them ourselves...

So what then is the difference between our devotions and the devotions of another religion? Is it in fact our source of study? Is that what you were thinking? The Bible? - sure. Ok - I'll give us that. We have the Bible. We go to The Word of God for the way, the truth and the life. And we believe - unwaveringly - that it is The BREATHED Word of God that He has protected and dispersed over time and distances  -.... But can I tell you what has my gears turning this morning?  The BOOK of all books - that is our focus and foundation for devotions - is not  meant to be a "feel good" book. Please don't get me wrong...I know it brings us deep soul gratification. I'm with you. I feel good in having spent time with God and being fed by Him, but consider this with me...Our devotions - time we spend with our Almighty God - if this time is always about reading until we feel good...we are missing the depth and power of our SOURCE of truth - that no other religion has.

Any religion offers a feel good source to their followers. Do you and I know - realize - study - equip our minds and hearts with the ROCK SOLID foundational truths that is the BIBLE - that defines our faith - that is the reason we pick it up at all? DO WE KNOW - why that verse we read actually...ACTUALLY...makes us feel good - or makes us rewire - reboot our lives??? Cause there is SO MUCH DEPTH to it - more than just our own soul stirring depth. It is the Word of The LIVING one true GOD.

AND in 2012 He has not left us without resources to study - and know it - to dig deep into it - and be grounded in why THE WORD of GOD is worth living by - and dying by.

Do you know why that verse you read changed your life? It is different than any other feel good saying you can repeat, or post, or tattoo, tweet, talk about, sing about - think about - and 180 your life to.  We NEED to know. We do - we sooooo so do. For those we love, for the God who has given us grace to live this undeserved love life with Him - for those we have yet to love in this life - and in our eternity...we need to know why we believe - WHAT - we believe. THAT - will set apart your mind and heart in your devotional time - from every religion in the world. AND God willing, He will give us the opportunity to share that difference - with love - with boldness - and with great certainty.

I Peter 2:15 " But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear...."

One study resource I have benefited from as a learner, and one that I keep on my shelf close by as a reference is Know Why You Believe by Paul E. Little. It's a small book - easy to devour, but it must be devoured slowly. Lots of meat. Lots of rock.

The other book - that change my LIFE! - oh my soul changed my life! -  How to Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur

I love this Jesus lovin -' followin' - studyin' - life with you. I so do. You spur me on. So, THANK YOU! I hope I do the same for you.
LOVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment