Wednesday, October 19, 2011

more fish.

A loooong time ago - like before wrinkle defense cream was even a glimmer 'round my eyes, I was in a church presentation of the Passion of Christ. I got to play one in a multitude (about 30 on our church platform) who was fed by Jesus on a hillside. The story is told in Mark 8 and also John 6). The multitude and I didn't have any lines, but what we had to do was talk amongst ourselves as we pretended to be served by the disciples. My mom later asked me what I said when I was acting out this scene. I told her I just kept saying, "More fish! More fish over here, please." She laughed. Hard. Which was the reaction I wanted. That's not actually what I said, but if I did have a line - that's what I would have been shouting. Jesus fed the people and they were satisfied. I thought it would be funny to yell out for more. You know - to be the greedy guy. Cuz who would want to be "THAT guy"??? Which reminds me - Wes Aarum did a message on "Don't Be That Guy" at www.thechapel.com. Great message! Flannel graph and all. Check it out if you have time...Time. I know. Anyway - so as not to waste yours, I''ll hurry up here.

The memory struck a chord with me as I read John 6 the other day. Thousands of people followed Jesus to hear him teach. Thousands of hungry people. And this part cracks me up - cuz I can almost see Jesus laugh to Himself at the humor in this question posed to Philip. "Where can we buy something for these people to eat?" Can you imagine? EVEN IF a market were just around the hill, would there be enough to feed them all? Would there be enough money to buy for all? This was Philip's concern, too - not that the people were hungry - but the cost and the responsibility of that hunger. Jesus knew it - and probably couldn't wait to show Him the truth of what He could provide. The people ate and were satisfied. The leftovers were overflowing from baskets.

The next day - like any crowd that witnessed a miracle of food just happening - the mob followed him. He got to the other side of the lake much faster than they did - like "POOF" and He was there, and they were amazed. But he did not address their inquiries about how and when he traveled, He went much deeper in their seeking issue. "You are looking for me, not because you saw signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you."

So - there I am. I'm literally transported from my couch to this crowd being tenderly corrected. I'm the guy chasing Jesus yelling, "More fish. More fish over here please." I am chasing Him across the lake or where ever I know He is going to be, because I know what He can do. He can give me what I need. He can give me what I am convinced is a need, but deep down - is a WANT. Chasing Jesus. One of my friends from the crowd yells out what I'm thinking, "What must we do to do the work God requires?" - Thanks, Buddy! Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one He has sent." - Wow. That shut me up. But someone else wanted to know more. "What sign will you give that we may SEE it and believe you? What will you do?" -

Seriously! I'm thinkin' he just fed all of you! Was that not enough? People! And then I remember. I have been so blessed. I have eaten and been satisfied in so many ways - left overs in overflowing baskets. Do I not STILL doubt Him, too. - Shutmeupagain. Reading on...

Jesus said, "Very truly I tell you, (paraphrased - I'm shootin' you straight, People!) it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is the bread that God sent down from heaven and gives life to the world."

A hungry guy (or two) - who totally reminds me of ME in that play I was in - spoke up, "Sir, always give us this bread ."

He's thinkin' what you're thinkin' - or at least what I am thinkin' ...Bread from heaven - YES! I'll take that free gift! no more $3.49 for whole grain! I want that miracle! I'll believe that magic is possible from the guy who fed all of us just yesterday!

Then Jesus said something that rocks me to the core, "I AM the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still do not believe."

Wow. What do you suppose hungry guy did with that? I bet he walked away - hungry. You wanna know why I think that??? Because in verse 41 of this chapter it says, "At this the Jews there began to grumble because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven."

They missed it. They missed soul satisfying truth. Jesus wasn't talking about never starving, He was talking about what every good daddy cares about most - His children's heart. Everything else is just details.

My heart hunger can be satisfied if I will just believe that Jesus is the Bread of LIFE.

Do I get that? I want to. I'm trying to. Just this morning I was chasing after Jesus for a myriad of things going on today. He didn't shove me away. He let me ramble on and on and on with my concerns - like He always does. And then I remembered. This is Jesus. He is the bread of Life. So I sat still with Him for a bit, just still, believing, until I heard my daughter's alarm go off.

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."John 8:51

Satisfied. Overflowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment