Monday, October 10, 2011

I wish I knew.

Thousands of years ago King Solomon, inspired by God, wrote down this simple but profound truth:

"He (God) has also put eternity in the hearts of men." Ecclesiastes 3:11

Though he was one of the wealthiest and wisest people to ever live, he discovered what you and I, if we're honest, know to be true as well - that the stuff of this world doesn't satisfy, doesn't bring lasting purpose, doesn't fill the void of meaning or answer the heart's deepest questions in a person's life. The truth is, it was never intended to. We are meant for something more...a connection with the Divine.

The Bible clearly maps this out in its very first book, Genesis - that we as human beings from the outset were created with a specific divine design. And that design is to be in a personal relationship with God, to know Him and love Him and live life as He designed it to be lived. However, this is not how things are. Our deconstruction began when sin entered the picture - man's rebellion against God, choosing to live life on his own terms. With sin our disconnect from God is total, and the result is not only an aimless life apart from our Creator but an eternity separated from Him as well. You and I are guilty of breaking God's law (I John 3:4, Exodus 20) and the consequences are dire (I John 3:36). BUT GOD - He does not end our story there, mired in hopelessness. His love for you and for me is so great that He launched a rescue mission, pursuing us with the possibility of a new life, the chance to be made new - or in other words - born again.

The most famous verse in the Bible clearly nuggets this amazing truth:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Our desperate situation called for the most extreme measures. The only way to satisfy and uphold the justice of a holy God was to pay for our eternal sin crime with a substitute who could completely and totally fulfill the death sentence leveled against us -

"For the wages (payment) of sin is death." Romans 6:23

God sent the only qualified, acceptable "payment" - His Son Jesus - to earth to die in our place so that by believing in Him and receiving by faith His sacrifice on our behalf, we become declared righteous (Romans 1:16-17), we receive eternal life, a home in heaven, (I John 5:13), we are restored to our original design, that loving relationship with God through Jesus Christ (I Peter 3:18, and I John 4:9-10), and the eternal void of meaning in our life is filled (John 10:10).

The way this truth can become a reality in your life TODAY is through faith - believing that what God says in His Word, the Bible, is for real, and then by coming to God on His terms:
- agreeing with God that you have broken His law and are guilty of sin (Romans 3:23)
- accepting Jesus' death sacrifice for you as THE ONLY WAY to get to God

"Jesus said, I am the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE. No one comes to the Father but by me."
John 14:6

- Then willfully turn from sin and from living life on your own terms. The Bible calls this repentance.

"I tell you the truth, unless you repent you shall all likewise perish. Luke 13:3

- and then by turning to Jesus and placing your total faith in Him - "Yet to all who received HIm, to those who believed in His name - HE GAVE THE RIGHT TO BECOME CHILDREN OF GOD." John 1:12

Right now - right where you are at - you can voice your heart's desire to Jesus through prayer and commit your life to Him - and that is exactly what it is - a life commitment, responding to God Who is desperately pursuing you as the Great Lover of your soul. For God to ask for a lesser commitment would not only cheapen it but would be completely unsatisfactory in dealing with our spiritual condition. We don't just need a spiritual band-aid, we need a total life transfusion. It is that which God offers us (John 17:3), wrapping it up in an ongoing, purpose driven, outrageous love relationship with Himself. And it's one you can be confident in forever (I John 5:11-13). This is where the journey begins, and God leaves the invitation open to you...it is the only answer to the call of eternity in your heart.

You can shape your prayer something like this - and note - salvation isn't in the prayer. Salvation is in the understanding of what you're praying - and through that - the change that comes from your heart to the God that you acknowledge right now - as your Lord and Savior.

"Dear God, I BELIEVE that You are telling me the truth in Your Word, and I agree with it. I confess that I have done wrong and I need to be rescued. I need a Savior from myself - from separation from You. I believe that you sent Your Son, Jesus, to die on a cross to pay the penalty for my sin. I BELIEVE that He rose from the grave, conquering sin and death, and now offers me eternal life - and a love relationship with you FOREVER. I want THAT. So, right now Jesus, I turn from my old selfish ways in repentance, and I turn to live for YOU. Come into my life, forgive my sins, and give me eternal life. I commit my life to YOU. Thank you for becoming my Savior, my Friend, My Lord. I love you. Thank you for loving me and teaching me what it means to truly love you and live for you from now on. Thank you that you will GUIDE me as I follow YOU.

Amen.

(www.vintagetruth.com) from Vintage Teachings.

You CAN know. This wish was already given. Will you receive it?

"And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the SON has THE LIFE; He who does not have the Son of God, does not have THE LIFE. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life." I John 5:11-13



No comments:

Post a Comment