Monday, May 17, 2010

Charis

Francis Chan was speaking via DVD at one of our Vintage college group meetings (www.vintagetruth.com) - and I was captivated by his words - as if he were standing right in front of me "strumming my life with his fingers - singing my life with his words - killing me softly". Are you laughing? I have to amuse myself in the midst of housework that calls to me and this itch to write. I'm laughing. Okay - I'll focus. Back to Vintage and the DVD. Francis Chan talked about grace. Grace. Now there's a concept I feel as if I move in and out of - trying to understand and experience and only recently feel compelled to demonstrate. And bear with me - because seriously, I still don't get it.

Grace is by Webster's definition is: unmerited divine assistance given man for his regeneration or sanctification; a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace. Laura Lewis definition - the undeserved huge help of our holy God. Can't imagine what the Greek definition might be. Ugh. Now I have to look it up. And my laundry machine is beeping, but this pin prick in my heart is more urgent. "Charis" is the Greek word for grace or favor on the part of the giver, thanks on the part of the receiver. And it says in my Strong's concordance that "although charis is related to sins and is the attribute of God that they evoke, (God's "eleos" - or compassion, the free gift of the forgiveness of sins), is related to the misery that sin brings. God's tender sense of our misery displays itself in His efforts to lessen and entirely remove it - efforts that are hindered and defeated only by man's continued perverseness. Grace removes guilt; mercy removes misery."

Are you going through your memories right now and considering the incredible demonstration of God's grace in your life? Close your eyes - and for just a second consider the blessings - the gifts of God in your life that ease your struggle - that strengthen you in the fight - that focus your attention on the love of God. Wait. Do not move from this place of worship in your heart and mind until you ask to realize more - what have you been blessed with that you did not even realize was your God's gift to you. Wait. Ask to see it. Ask to understand. Wait a moment more. How faithful is our God! Is it not overwhelming? Just the computer in front of you - a link to truth right now in our lives - together - is a gift of grace if you choose to see it - to use it that way. The stillness that we gather around us - now. This exhale moment... Truly - have we ever been without His help? And for every grace filled moment that I attributed the gift of God to someone or something else - and He did not hold it against me - I am even more aware of His humility - His selfless love that pours over me in silent adoration. I am blown away by the mercy and grace of our God. "The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith, and love that are in Christ Jesus." I Timothy 1:14

My NIV study Bible is opened on the desk in front of me as I type. Hebrews 11:14-15 is speaking to me over the clicking of the keys on which I type. "See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many." My heart is gripped with these words and I am literally struggling to give them meaning with everything I know, and have lived, and seen in my journey in learning who God is and who He is not. This instruction to "see to it" is for believers - for those of us who intimately know God's grace - who have experienced it - and get what it means to have a new life because of grace. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God is on ME because I am gifted with His spirit to love and demonstrate grace. OHMYHEART! What does that look like, Lord? What? I know all too well that to ask God such a question will in fact bring an onslaught of life lessons where I will begin to grasp the breadth and depth of what He wants me to realize and be for His amazing purposes. I do know God cannot fall short of giving grace. His demonstration of grace is through Christ. Romans, if you are in your Bible concordance with me, is heavily noted with the word "grace".

"Through Him we received grace" Romans 1:5
"and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." 3:24
"But where sin increased, grace increased all the more" 5:20

I also know that I have most certainly fallen short of showing grace. Proud and stupid as I can be, I seem to think I might know what is right to do - to say - to be - and UGH - then I learn about grace. How patient is our God! And for those of you who know me - and still love me...how patient are you! I am so grateful for people who never give up on us! who demonstrate the grace of God - so sincerely -and often without a word.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound - that saved a wretch like me. No words in that sound - just love filled images set to music that moves my heart to worship - begining with the cross -to my own life of 40 years - images of those who surround me now - who have been beside me and are no longer there -...God others...those images - the sound of grace. Grace is God's help to us when we did not deserve it, -demonstrated first by our God - and taught to us so that we might show it clearly to others... and how cool-cool-cool- that He involves us in His grace - that we get to be His hand of grace in the lives others, who like me, are in need of it's redemptive power. And I have been missing-missing-missing these incredible opportunities!!! UGH! If God has used me to demonstrate GRACE- truly - I was not aware. Grace is so humble. Grace is so strong and yet so silent. Grace is given without request. Grace is only the Spirit of the Living God.

Grace - my goodness - grace saves me from myself daily. The grace of God did not just sacrifice Himself for my sins - but the grace of God saw my helpless condition and put His spirit in me to help me break free of my sinful nature every day. Now! and now! and even now! Grace is a constant source of love, of power, of encouragement, and mercy. I have to read again the meaning of "charis" - grace. Scrolling up...Charis is evident in the midst of my sin. "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:7 What amazing grace!

And then - to consider - that I have been freed from my old ways! - God gave me a new heart - placed me under grace - not law. I used to see the do's and don'ts - the bars that surrounded what I defined as life. By miraculous faith - Jesus -the Gate of my life - replaced the bars - and I was able to embrace my freedom to live for Him. INCREDIBLE!

What brought me to this understanding was simply grace. I had not realized it - only until recently God stuck this truth to the "sticking place" moment in my life where He gave grace to me so sweetly - and I don't think I ever said thank you - and I don't think I ever said I was sorry - and I most certainly was not aware He was standing right there. The moment was simply grace filled - by my intimate God - and I am still in awe of it. Beautiful unexpected grace!

Please could I share it with you? - Briefly, I promise! I was 26. I was going through a divorce. I had known God since I was a child, had been a part of a church family, and attended a Christian school for nine years. I was not lacking the knowledge of what it meant to live for God - I was lacking the experience of how living for God actually felt in my own head, and heart, and skin. I had little respect for myself at this time in my life. It was my own grandmother who reminded me to step lightly in this life now that I was "damaged goods." I kept my head low as I would come and go from church - if in fact I could bring myself to attend. Church - the meeting place - never seemed to make me feel better - only ever worse. Church - the people -well, honestly I do not know where they were then, I only know I would have hidden from them if they approached me. So, I would arrive at church alone. Sit alone. Leave alone. I would lament over alcohol and cigarettes - my journal, and ice cream. I knew I needed God, and I wanted to live differently - but I had no idea how to rid myself of the trash that was my life - my habits - my name. And then one day - the phone rang - and grace was on the other end. My high school friend - Jamie George - who is now the lead pastor of a church - The Journey in Nashville, Tennessee - was on the other end. That he was calling me at this time in my life - blew my mind. I was embarrassed to be found. I knew that he was aware of my divorce - and I knew that he was aware that I was not innocent of what brought it about - I knew that if he saw me - talked to me - that my guilt, my sin would be clear - but I ached for what he offered over the phone - time with him and his wife - they wanted to hear how I was - to listen to my story if I cared to share it - to encourage me - and I was dying for their love.

We met for breakfast almost 14 years ago. I cannot remember the exact exchange of words, what I do see in my memory as clear as the computer screen in front of me - is a snapshot of the two faces full of compassion in front of me. There was no judgement. No one outlined my sin. No one showed me the Scripture that clearly marked my first false step. No one detailed the way I should live from now on, or made me apologize for the hypocrite I had been all these years in claiming to love God. No one cast one stone at me, or wanted me to gather them to throw at myself. These two bearers of grace sat with me - and only offered love. Angie, with great tenderness and humility, told me of her need for Bible studies. She had read, Kay Arthur's Lord, Heal My Hurts, and had loved what it meant to her in her own life. This compassionate heart of God - leveled the playing field for me - so that I would not feel like I was reaching up to take this book - but reaching across - one girlfriend to another - one broken life - repaired by Christ - to another that was not beyond His love, His help, His healing.

Grace. I experienced the grace of God through two people - who could have - Jamie for sure - a preacher's son - a childhood friend - a preacher himself; - he could have blasted me with every bit of truth I was deserving to hear, know, realize and be sorry for - but he didn't. Grace was all he offered, and grace was what gripped my heart and brought me healing. I cried the whole way home. They were leaving town again - and I would be without their encouragement and love, and I would have to try to move from this place with the hope they had given me. Oh the grace of God - THAT hope was enough! They prayed with me before they left. I don't remember what they prayed - but I do know this - God heard and He answered..

I took that book home, and I opened it, and I met for the first time in my life - a woman - who was real enough to share her redemptive story of grace. I had a friend in Kay Arthur instantly. She, through the voice of her book, sat me down on my second-hand sofa in that tiny apartment on Dysinger Road in Lockport, New York and told me her grace story. I cried my eyes out. If God would forgive her, and help her, and redeem her life - then most certainly he would help me. Saved by grace; healed by grace - and strength to move on - because of grace; my very first Bible study - and I soaked it up for every bit of truth I needed. How gracious of God that I did not get overwhelmed - but only more hungry. I did not get discouraged by all I had to let go of in my life so that I could realize the love of God that was mine - I just kept getting more and more grace! and the letting go got easier and easier because my hands were so full of all He is to hold and more. Oh my God I am so grateful for the TRUTH that is His word - that is Him. Even today His grace abounds - and I am free to embrace Him with all I am and with all I am not. "Grace covers all of me".

"See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God..." How grateful I am for bearers of grace in my life. Where would I be without grace??? ...The rest of that verse is very telling to me..."and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many." I could have remained that bitter root. I could have... - "but by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect." I Corinthians 15:10

"Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us? But he gives us more grace." James 4:5

I - have much to realize - and much to give. What a gift to understand that today! Thank you for grace, my friends. May I never miss again - the opportunity to bless you as richly as you have blessed me - in this grace paved journey we share. "Grace be with you all." I Timothy 6:21 No wonder Paul was always sayin' that!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Laura...you are always such a breath of fresh air to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and life lessons. You are a blessing to me! ~rebekah

    ReplyDelete