Friday, March 5, 2010

OMG

OMG. That acronym used to anger me so much. I thought I knew why. That's my God's name people are uttering recklessly! Considering my own pride is always an issue, I had to rethink my punch in the gut reaction. It's really my response to OMG that is all wrong. For that I am sorry.

Engraved on the soul of every human creation is an everlasting image. And, as we stumble forward in this grace cushioned existence, we muster every cognitive scaffold we can gather to give it language and meaning -a name - be it in our joy or in our sorrow - to fill the moment of our soul shaping - we call it out - Oh My God!

And whether we do this in ignorance or we do this in purest devotion, we testify to an indelible impression that we cannot remove - even in our rebellion to Him. That image was marred by sin but is reconciled to Him by Christ . Every soul that chooses to be reconciled to our Creator -through the image bearer of God - Christ Jesus - will find - satisfaction -redemption - and hope for what is to come... the fullness of His presence unleashed when the sun, moon and stars no longer confine for us His power and beauty. For by Him and through Him - one day in the scope of eternity - WE WILL SEE HIM.

Human eyes seeing God? How is this possible? If we enter eternity transformed by faith, we will indeed be able to experience the fullness of all He is on that "faith becomes sight" day - and more than that we will be joined with Him in the fullness of His glory! Colossians 3:3 "For you died (that is referring to the life and destiny I once lived in unbelief) and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. WHEN CHRIST, WHO IS YOUR LIFE - APPEARS - THEN YOU WILL APPEAR WITH HIM IN GLORY" (all emphasis added by me as I sit here freaking out!)

But what will it be like for those who always rejected His name? What will it be like to behold Him when they never believed?

In that culminating moment of soul shaping existence
God will illuminate the truth of humanity's image.
AND in His presence, those who are without the righteousness of Christ -
Will realize the fullness of what they COULD HAVE BEEN
In Him.
This spiritual revelation will evoke such anguish and shame
That they will run from Him -
Even to the depths of hell -
to escape the agony
of His beautiful
image
of love
and of life -
the one that they were created to sense and seek
to find and reflect.
They will know the truth that the Image Bearer
was engraved upon their souls from the very beginning.
And oh the horror that His name was on their lips throughout their lives.
but they never believed. They never received.
Oh My God.
My God.
My God.


My response is no longer one of anger, but of prayer.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:2-6

3 comments:

  1. Col 4:2-6...GREAT SET OF VERSES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to look at it- as a need to pray. This spoke to me as I also get angry when I hear (or read) "OMG". Thanks for sharing this. I came across your blog when skimming the list of SheSpeaks entries :)

    ReplyDelete