Sunday, November 20, 2011

Something I Wrote Just For You!

I wrote this poem to my dad when I was away at Liberty University for my first tumultuous year of college. It is dated 9-15-88. I remember I mailed it to him, and he called me when he received it. He told me he liked it very much and that he would always keep it. Not much more was said about it then - or ever. I guess I had hoped for a profound moment between us, but could not figure out how to contrive that moment apart from my poem that was - to me - an outstretched hand.My dad was a man of few words. He lived his sentiments, and welcomed all of us into the warmth of the moments he gave us wordlessly.

I found the poem neatly folded in his wallet the day he died. Profound moment given and deeply received.

Here is what I wrote:

Daddy,
Tell me that you love me, no matter what I do,
Tell me that you'll be there when I come running home to you.

Hold my hand and talk with me; I miss you very much.
Sometimes, Dad, this little girl just needs her father's touch.

When did I become to old to sit on Daddy's lap?
And cuddle up beside you when you took a little nap?

Simple tears no longer fall for losing in a game,
but the eyes that held those tears are very much the same.

Daddy, you're my strength to stand when placed before the crowd.
I'll do and be the very best to make my father proud.

To disappoint my daddy is a pain I could not bear.
In everything I do I see my father standing there.

Yesterday I viewed the world on Daddy's shoulders high,
And I fell asleep contently to your tender lullaby.

God gave to me so very much when He placed me in your care.
I know that I am loved and that my daddy's always there.

I'll always be your little girl. I love you Daddy so.
I couldn't ask for better, and I wanted you to know.

Much Love,
Laura Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment